Former Cheyenne Steam Laundry
The Former Cheyenne Steam Laundry is located at 508 West 18th Avenue in the City of Cheyenne. The site historically served as the location for dry cleaning operations since the early 1900’s. Security First Bank acquired the property in 1996. The original dry cleaning building was demolished and related storage tanks were removed from the property. Several site investigations documented petroleum hydrocarbon and chlorinated solvent impacts above state standards to soil and groundwater. A passive soil vent system was proactively installed to address potential vapor intrusion due to remaining contamination at the site.
The Former Cheyenne Steam Laundry has been evaluated as a high priority site for the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality/Orphan Site Remediation Program (WDEQ/OSRP). Existing soil and groundwater contamination at the site and the risks that it may pose to human health and the environment are the basis for additional investigation. Recent state funds, allocated to the WDEQ/OSRP, made the 2014 site investigation possible.
WDEQ/OSRP Project Manager:
Site Investigation Updates
- August 1995: Phase II Environmental Site Assessment identified environmental contamination related to historic site use.
- April – July 1997: Contaminated soils and sludge were excavated. Several storage tanks, drums, and a sump were removed.
- September 1997: An initial nature and extent investigation of soil and groundwater contamination was conducted. Soil and groundwater revealed petroleum hydrocarbon and chlorinated solvent impacts above maximum contaminant levels (MCLs).
- April 1998: Three groundwater monitoring wells were constructed in the area of the sump.
- July 1998 – May 1999: Four quarters of groundwater sampling and analysis indicated exceedances of tetrachloroethylene (PCE).
- July and August 2014: A field investigation was conducted to delineate site soil and groundwater investigation, and evaluate the vapor intrusion pathway.
- December 2014: Collected an additional round of subslab and indoor air data.