Water Quality

Frequently Asked Questions

Wyoming has regulated the construction of water and wastewater facilities since June 8, 1921. The Department of Health, Sanitary Engineering Service administered water and sewer regulations until it was transferred to the newly formed Department of Environmental Quality in 1973. At this time the Sanitary Engineering Service was renamed to Water and Wastewater Program. Wyoming State Statutes governing the Water and Wastewater Program are found in Title 35, Public Health and Safety, although regulations going back to 1921 are available.

A PWS is defined as a system that serves water to 15 service connections or an average of 25 people per day for a period of at least 60 days each year. There are three types of PWSs:

  1. A community water system serves 15 service connections or an average of 25 residents per day all year long.  Examples would be municipalities, water districts, and homeowners associations. This type of PWS is defined in Wyoming Statute at WSS 35-11-103.
  2. A non-transient, non-community water system serves 15 service connections or an average of 25 of the same non-resident people per day for at least 6 months a year. Examples would be schools, mines, office buildings or industrial parks. This type of PWS is defined in Wyoming Statute at WSS 35-11-103.
  3. A transient, non-community water system serves 15 service connections or an average of 25 different people each day for at least 60 days a year. Examples would be restaurants, campgrounds, lodges, or resorts. This type of PWS is defined in Federal Statute at 40 CFR 141.2.

Wyoming is the only State that does not administer the public water system activation, drinking water monitoring, consumer confidence report, sanitary survey, and laboratory certification programs of the Safe Drinking Water Act. The EPA Region 8 Office out of Denver, Colorado implements these programs in the State of Wyoming. EPA Region 8 has primary enforcement authority, or "primacy", for all Safe Drinking Water Act regulatory programs except the Operator Certification and Capacity Development Programs. Wyoming also implements the Source Water Assessment and Protection, although it is not considered a regulatory program, and is therefore not a “primacy” program.

The process of attaining a CAFO Permit entails the following steps: 

  1. Contact us.
    The permitting process involves multiple regulatory programs. You will need a permit from each regulatory program, including a WYPDES Discharge Permit, a Water and Wastewater Permit to Construct, and potentially an Air Quality Permit.

    You will likely need to meet with members of our team to review your plans, which usually results in a smoother, less expensive design and permitting process. See the bottom of this page for more contact information.

    Jon Deutscher
    Nutrient Management

    James Brough
    Water and Wastewater Permit to Construct

    Roland Peterson
    WYPDES Discharge Permit
  2. Hire an engineer.
    An engineer will help develop your wastewater, waste, and nutrient management plans and design the structures required by your permit. Financial assistance for this step may be available through the USDA Rural Development Program.

  3. Complete paperwork. 
    You will need to complete several forms and applications to apply for permits from the three regulatory programs with oversight for CAFO. 

    Some of these documents require you to submit them along with fees. Additional applications may be required for wastewater runoff and retention systems and/or for swine confinement facilities. 
Location: Water Quality / CAFOS

Ask a Question

If you have a question, you can ask us by using this form. You may optionally select a division that the question pertains to or submit it as a general question.