The Water and Wastewater Program issues permits to construct, modify, or upgrade water or wastewater treatment facilities,  water distribution systems, sewage collection systems; permits to install small wastewater treatment facilities; and permits to treat or dispose the wastewater generated from coal bed methane, oil or gas production.  The steps involved in applying for a permit to construct and the forms needed are available on the Obtaining a Permit page.

Construction Permitting
Construction, upgrading, or modification of any part of a public water supply system or wastewater system requires a permit. There are three types of construction permits: general permits, permit by rule, and individual permits. If the project is not covered by a general permit or a permit by rule, an individual permit to construct is required.  Please contact the District Engineer for the county in which construction will take place if you need more information about which permit is required (see District Map).

Small Wastewater System Permitting 
A permit is required for the installation, repair or replacement of small wastewater systems, also known as septic tanks and leach fields.  Septic systems that handle more than 2,000 gallons per day require a large capacity septic system permit, which are issued by the Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program.

Produced Water Treatment and Disposal Permitting
Water generated during the production of coalbed methane, oil or gas contains traces of these substances that must be removed before releasing this water back into the environment.  Treatment facilities and disposal facilities, called commercial oilfield waste disposal facilities, must be permitted.

Other Permits
Permits may also be required for hydrostatic test discharge water, wastewater reuse, and  incinerating/composting toilets.