State law requires that all solid waste be disposed of, treated or recycled at designated facilities approved by both the SHWD and the local governing body with jurisdiction (county, city, town) in which the facility is located.
The Solid Waste Program oversees these facilities, issuing permits, assisting with design, construction, operation, monitoring compliance and serving violators with corrective actions.
Solid waste facilities that are regulated by this program include:
- Local community landfills (both operating and closed)
- Municipal waste baling stations and transfer facilities
- Industrial waste landfills
- Industrial waste treatment facilities and units
- Used oil storage facilities