WYPDES Permit Writer
Jason Thomas, Program Manager
DEQ/Water Quality Division
200 W. 17th St. 4th Floor
Cheyenne, WY  82002
Tel: 307-777-5504
Fax: 307-777-5973

Nutrient Management Plans
Jon Deutscher

DEQ/Water Quality Division
2100 West 5th St.
Sheridan, WY 82801
Tel: 307-675-5635
Fax: 307-672-2213

Construction Permits
James Brough

DEQ/Water Quality Division
510 Meadowview Dr.
Lander, WY 82520
Tel: 307-335-6961
Fax: 307-332-7726

Electronic Documents Submittal

Electronic document submittal is available for WQD permit applications, reports, and other communications.
Visit:  WDEQ Water Quality Division Downloads

You do NOT need to follow up the electronic submission with a hard copy submission unless you are specifically contacted by a WQD staff person with a request to do so.

Need to report a spill or complaint? Please visit

Submitting a public comment? WQD is unable to accept public notice comments through this system. Refer to the public notice document for instructions on how to submit comments or visit

NOTICE: All applications for water distribution systems and/or sewage collection systems that are within the Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities (BOPU) district shall be submitted to the BOPU for approval. Contact Frank Strong or Bryce Dorr at (307) 637-6460,, or for additional information.

Rules and Regulations

All official Wyoming State Rules and Regulations are kept at the Wyoming Secretary of State's Office. Click here to view all current Rules and Regulations. 


CAFO Guidance

This page contains downloadable CAFO Guidance and Nutrient Management Plan (NMP) development documents.  Click on the document title below.

If the download box is not working below, please click here.

Forms and Reports

Water and Wastewater Permit to Construct Application or Chapter 3 Permit

A copy of your issued permit is available online.

To view CAFO permits issued through the WYPDES Program, click here.

Reporting Forms

A CAFO Permit Annual Report is required if you have a WYPDES Discharge Permit.  Excel version  or  PDF version

Log Sheets

Daily Water Line Inspection Log
Manure, Litter, and Process Wastewater Transfer Record
Manure Spreader Calibration Maintenance Log
Nutrient Land Application Log
Precipitation Log
Weekly Storage and Containment Structure Inspection Log

If the download box is not working below, please click here.

Related Programs

The Water & Wastewater Program works to ensure safe and adequate supplies of drinking water and the proper disposal of wastewater.

The Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) permitting program provides oversight for facilities housing large concentrations of livestock to ensure that the waters of the state are not negatively impacted and that the waste these animals generate are appropriately treated.

We work with CAFOs under three separate regulatory programs, the WY Point Source Discharge Elimination System Program (WYPDES), the Water and Wastewater Construction Permitting Program, and for some larger CAFOs, the Air Quality Permitting Program.

The process of attaining a CAFO Permit entails the following steps: 

  1. Contact us.
    The permitting process involves multiple regulatory programs. You will need a permit from each regulatory program, including a WYPDES Discharge Permit, a Water and Wastewater Permit to Construct, and potentially an Air Quality Permit.

    You will likely need to meet with members of our team to review your plans, which usually results in a smoother, less expensive design and permitting process. See the bottom of this page for more contact information.

  2. Hire an engineer.
    An engineer will help develop your wastewater, waste, and nutrient management plans and design the structures required by your permit. Financial assistance for this step may be available through the USDA Rural Development Program.

  3. Complete paperwork. 
    You will need to complete several forms and applications to apply for permits from the three regulatory programs with oversight for CAFO. 

    Some of these documents require you to submit them along with fees. Additional applications may be required for wastewater runoff and retention systems and/or for swine confinement facilities. 

A permit is required when more than 1,000 head of cattle or an equivalent weight of livestock are confined for more than 45 days, or the facility negatively impacts the waters of the state.

Equivalent livestock weights are listed in Appendix G of state rules Chapter 2.

If you think you need a permit for your Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation, you should gather some information before you contact us. 

  1. Do you have cropland that can be used to dispose of wastewater?
  2. Is your groundwater deeper than 20 feet?
  3. Do the water wells in your area draw from a deep aquifer?
  4. Does your soil have a slow “perc” rate? (caused by soil with clay or silt in it)
  5. Is the groundwater in your area unsuitable for potable use?
  6. Will you be able to grow grass or similar vegetation inside the area of the    containment pond when it is dry?

If your site meets most of the criteria listed above, you may qualify to contain your wastewater runoff in a “Temporary Retention Structure," which is generally cheaper and easier to build than a full retention structure. Even if your site does not meet the Temporary Retention Structure criteria, answers to these questions are needed in order to properly design your wastewater retention facility. 

If you need assistance obtaining this information, your engineer should be able to help you.