Storm Water Permitting

Electronic Documents Submittal

In response to the Governor's request to limit contact and the move toward staff working remotely for the near future, the WDEQ Water Quality Division (WQD) has made electronic document submittal available. This includes permit applications, response to comments, reports, and other communications. Forms have been set up for individual WQD Sections (Watershed, WYPDES, Groundwater, Water/Wastewater), and a form is also available for general WQD submittals. Please choose the appropriate form from the list of links below to upload your documents. If submitted electronically, no hardcopy is required to be submitted unless you are contacted by a WQD Section Manager with a request to submit the hard copy. Please note that the Water Quality Division is unable to accept comments on documents in public notice via these forms. Please refer to the public notice for instructions on how to submit comments.

Groundwater Section:Click Here
Watershed Section: Click Here
Water and Waste Water Section: Click Here
WYPDES Section:Click Here
General WQD:Click Here

NOTICE: Effective November 23, 2021, all permits to be submitted for water distribution systems and/or sewage collection systems that are within the Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities (BOPU) district shall be submitted to the BOPU for approval.  BOPU contacts are Frank Strong or Bryce Dorr at (307) 637-6460,, or for additional information.

  1. WYPDES permit fees were raised on July 1, 2020.  Fees for storm water permits changed from $100 per each 12-months to $200 per each 12-months.  The maximum fee will be $1000 for a five year term.  All WYPDES permits are affected whether storm water or discharge permits. Permit fees cannot be pro-rated for partial years. Visit our fee calculator. (December 28, 2020)

  2. The Water Quality Division is requesting that the public submit documents (applications and other forms) via an upload link whenever possible.  Please see more information about what can be uploaded here:  (April 2, 2020)
Fee Calculator

Beginning July 1, 2013 payment of permit fees for individual permits and general permit authorizations are required to be submitted with the permit application or NOI form.  Some types of permits have flat fees and others have variable fees that must be calculated. 

This "Fee Calculator" should be used to determine the proper amount to be submitted with each application or NOI.  Checks should be made out to the "Dept. of Environmental Quality, Water Quality Division.

Storm Water Guidance Documents

This resource page contains guidance documents related to WYPDES Storm Water Permitting.

Storm Water Links

Best Management Practices

  • City of Casper Storm Water Web Page.  The City of Casper has put together a web page with many resources for homeowners to contractors.  (12/07)
  • A Guide to Temporary Erosion-Control Measures for Contractors, Designers and Inspectors (Available Below):  The state of North Dakota has produced this excellent and straightforward guidebook for temporary erosion controls on construction sites. (6/05)

Erosion and Sediment Control Best Management Practices for the City of Casper Wyoming.  Casper has published this manual for contractors working in Casper.  In addition to recommended BMPs the manual has information City ordinances addressing erosion control. (9/05)

  • Cover Page for Manual (Available Below for Download)
  • BMP Manual  (Available Below for Download)
  • Manual Appendices (Available Below for Download)

This EPA site has published a number of webcasts addressing many aspects of storm water. They may be appropriate for construction, industrial, or municipal applications.  Other EPA storm water related resources including a National Menu of BMPs and various fact sheets can be found on this page.

National Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP) Database - This database provides monitoring results measuring the effectiveness of structural and non-structural BMPs used around the country.

Protecting Water Quality in Urban Areas - This document from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has a wealth of information on protecting surface waters in urban areas.

Rules and Regulations

All official Wyoming State Rules and Regulations are kept at the Wyoming Secretary of State's Office. Click here to view all current Rules and Regulations. 


Related Programs

This program contains documents, forms, and other information pertaining to the WYPDES Storm Water Permitting. 

Active Storm Water Authorizations