Become an Operator


Please contact Kim Parker at or 307-777-6128 if you have questions about the Operator Certification Program.

Operator Certification Documents

Instruction/Guidance Documents


Please contact Kim Parker at or 307-777-6128 if you have an interest in a policy not listed here.



Water Quality Rules and Regulations Chapter 5 governs Operator Certification in Wyoming. You may download the current version from the Secretary of State's Office website.

DEQ Presentations

Related Programs

To become a Wyoming certified operator, follow these steps!

Set Up An Account in the Operator Certification database using the Login Instructions.  You must live in or work as an operator in Wyoming in order to become a Wyoming certified operator.

Send in Your High School Equivalency (HSE) Documents. Send in a document proving that you have the equivalent of a High School education (HSE).


High School Transcripts:  To obtain a copy of a Wyoming high school transcript from the Wyoming State Archives, complete and submit the transcript request form. There is a fee of $4 to process your transcript request.  They can be reached by phone at 307-777-7018.


GED Certificate:  The Wyoming Community College Commission can assist you with obtaining a General Educational Development certificate of high school equivalency (GED) or a copy of a previously issued GED certificate. They can be reached by phone at 307-777-7763.


Military Discharge Form DD214


College or Trade School Transcripts


Professional License


If you cannot provide any of the documents above, please contact the Operator Certification Office at or 307-777-6128.

All operators must meet Wyoming's minimum experience requirements in order to obtain certification.

  • To start your experience record in your account, your supervisor must designate you as an operator within 10 days of starting work. 
  • If you have related work experience that you would like DEQ to consider, fill out the supplemental experience form.

All operators must meet Wyoming's minimum training requirements in order to obtain certification.

  • The Operator Instructions document explains how to add training to your training history.
  • Check out our Exam Study Materials webpage to find a correspondence course to help you meet the training requirements and study for the exam.

ABC sens exam scores to DEQ in about 2 weeks.  While you are waiting, make sure that your training and experience records are up to date and that you meet the  Wyoming certification requirements

Maintain your contact information, add trainings that you take for continuing education, apply training to renewals, keep your employment record current, etc. The Operator Instructions document has detailed instructions to help you.  Please read the Core Area and Rule Training Guidance also.

Reciprocal Certification:  Operators certified in another state whose certifications are current and in good standing, may apply for reciprocal certification.   You must live in or work as an operator in the State of Wyoming before DEQ will consider your application.  Complete a separate application for each reciprocal certificate.

Check job postings at Wyoming Association of Rural Water Systems (WARWS) Jobs & Equipment, Wyoming Association of Municipalities (WAM) Community Classifieds, American Water Works Association (AWWA) Career Center or