Keenan HendonWater & Wastewater Program Manager307-777-7075
Water/Wastewater Construction Permitting  
Bradley Ellis, P.E.- District EngineerNortheast District (Map)307-473-3469
Dale Lee, P.E -Assistant District EngineerNortheast District (Map) 307-675-5640
James Brough, P.E. - District EngineerNorthwest District (Map)307-335-6961
Dennis Lewis, P.E. - District EngineerSoutheast District (Map)307-777-7088
Jason Fernandez, P.E. - Assistant District EngineerSouthheast District (Map)307-777-7388
Mark Baron, P.E. - District EngineerSouthwest District (Map)307-335-6962
Oil & Gas Produced Water Treatment  
Dennis Lamb, P.G. - PrincipalProduced Water Treatment & Disposal307-473-3452
Hannes Stueckler, P.E.Produced Water Treatment & Disposal307-335-6964
Operator Certification  
Kim ParkerOperator Certification, Source Water307-777-6128
Source Water Assessment & Protection  
Kim ParkerOperator Certification, Source Water307-777-6128
State Revolving Loan Fund (SRF)  
William Tillman, P.E. - PrincipalSRF Program, Capacity Development307-777-6941
Stanley MillerSRF Program, Capacity Development307-777-6371
Anthony RiversEnforcement307-777-6183
Electronic Documents Submittal

In response to the Governor's request to limit contact and the move toward staff working remotely for the near future, the WDEQ Water Quality Division (WQD) has made electronic document submittal available. This includes permit applications, response to comments, reports, and other communications. Forms have been set up for individual WQD Sections (Watershed, WYPDES, Groundwater, Water/Wastewater), and a form is also available for general WQD submittals. Please choose the appropriate form from the list of links below to upload your documents. If submitted electronically, no hardcopy is required to be submitted unless you are contacted by a WQD Section Manager with a request to submit the hard copy. Please note that the Water Quality Division is unable to accept comments on documents in public notice via these forms. Please refer to the public notice for instructions on how to submit comments.

Groundwater Section:Click Here
Watershed Section: Click Here
Water and Waste Water Section: Click Here
WYPDES Section:Click Here
General WQD:Click Here

NOTICE: Effective November 23, 2021, all permits to be submitted for water distribution systems and/or sewage collection systems that are within the Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities (BOPU) district shall be submitted to the BOPU for approval.  BOPU contacts are Frank Strong or Bryce Dorr at (307) 637-6460,, or for additional information.

Obtaining a Permit

Chapters 3, 11, 12, and 25 of the Wyoming Water Quality Rules and Regulations outline the requirements for construction permitting and can be viewed on the Secretary of State website. The policies which further refine the construction permitting process can be viewed on our Policies page.

Permit Application Instructions
Step 1: Complete a Water-and-Wastewater-Permit-to-Construct-Application form (Chapter 3 permit).  Submit three copies of the design report and construction plans and specifications to the District Engineer for the county (see District Map) in which construction will take place.  All three copies must be signed and sealed by a Wyoming licensed Professional Engineer (PE).

If you are interested in submitting a Trade Secret Confidentiality Request, click here.

Step 2: DEQ will review the application for compliance with rules, regulations, and current policies.  The DEQ engineer will issue an individual or general permit, or a permit by rule permit depending on the situation. Please contact the District Engineer for the county in which construction will take place if you need more information about which permit is required (see District Map).

Step 3: If the permit is issued, the owner must complete construction within the timeframe specified in the permit, which will not exceed 5 years.  If construction is not completed within this time frame, a new construction permit must be obtained.

Step 4: Submit a Certificate-of-Completion form when construction is complete.

Step 5: Submit a Transfer-of-Ownership form if the ownership of a permitted facility is transferred to another party.

If the download box is not working below, please click here.

District Map

Map of Water and Wastewater Districts showing the counties in each District, the District Engineers and Assistant District Engineers, and their contact information.

Interactive GIS map.  Use this map to determine the legal description or lat/long of your projects.

Related Programs

The Water and Wastewater Program issues permits to construct, modify, or upgrade water or wastewater treatment facilities,  water distribution systems, sewage collection systems; permits to install small wastewater treatment facilities; and permits to treat or dispose the wastewater generated from coal bed methane, oil or gas production. 

The steps involved in applying for a Permit to Construct and links to forms and guidance documents are available on the Obtaining a Permit tab above.

Construction, upgrading, or modification of any part of a public water supply system or wastewater system requires a permit. There are three types of construction permits: general permits, permit by rule, and individual permits. If the project is not covered by a general permit or a permit by rule, an individual permit to construct is required.  Please contact the District Engineer for the county in which construction will take place if you need more information about which permit is required (see District Map in tab above).