Small Wastewater Systems

Enforcement Actions

The DEQ undertakes enforcement actions to preserve safe environmental conditions throughout Wyoming. 

This page contains information on the enforcement actions that the Water Quality Division may undertake, as well as a record of enforcement actions that have been undertaken by WQD.

If the download box is not working below, please click here.

Electronic Documents Submittal

Electronic document submittal is available for WQD permit applications, reports, and other communications.
Visit:  WDEQ Water Quality Division Downloads

You do NOT need to follow up the electronic submission with a hard copy submission unless you are specifically contacted by a WQD staff person with a request to do so.

Need to report a spill or complaint? Please visit

Submitting a public comment? WQD is unable to accept public notice comments through this system. Refer to the public notice document for instructions on how to submit comments or visit

NOTICE: All applications for water distribution systems and/or sewage collection systems that are within the Cheyenne Board of Public Utilities (BOPU) district shall be submitted to the BOPU for approval. Contact Frank Strong or Bryce Dorr at (307) 637-6460,, or for additional information.

Recent General Permit Authorizations

The DEQ Water Quality Division accepts comments on all permits authorized under a general permit for a period of 30 days, as provided for in W.S. 35-11-801(d).

Interested persons may mail or fax comments to the main Cheyenne office. The ‘Date’ column in the table below indicates the date the authorization was posted to the website. Comments must be received before 5:00 pm on the 30th day after the authorization was posted to the website. For example, comments for an authorization posted on 10/1/18 must be received by 5:00 p.m. on 10/31/18. DEQ does not accept emailed comments.

You may sort the table by posting date or search for the type of general permit, the county where the permit was issued, the permit number, or the name of the person or company to whom the permit was issued.

If you wish to review the general permit documents, please go to the web page for each permitting program:

If the download box is not working below, please click here.

Proposed Rules and Regulations

The Water Quality Division will present proposed revisions to Water Quality Rules Chapter 1, Wyoming Surface Water Quality Standards; and Chapter 2, Permit Regulations for Discharges to Wyoming Surface Waters to the Water and Waste Advisory Board at their June 13, 2024 meeting, starting at 9:00 a.m. The proposed revisions to Chapter 1 (1) fulfill the federal requirements at 40 CFR § 131.20, (2) restructure and align requirements with state law and federal law, regulations, and guidance; (3) revise designated uses and remove the designated use classification system; and (4) provide minor updates to specific water quality criteria. The proposed revisions to Chapter 2 (1) update references to the designated use classification system to reflect proposed revisions to Chapter 1; and (2) incorporate provisions related to fish toxicants, aquatic pesticides, and short-term sediment disturbance that Water Quality Division proposes to move from Chapter 1 to Chapter 2. More information is available at: under the “Upcoming Meeting” tab

Rules and Regulations

All official Wyoming State Rules and Regulations are kept at the Wyoming Secretary of State’s Office. Click here to view all current Rules and Regulations.

Small Wastewater Systems

Permit Jurisdiction
DEQ authorizes this permit only for the construction of small wastewater facilities that are located in Campbell (commercial systems only), Carbon, Crook, Niobrara, Platte, and Weston Counties where DEQ is the permitting authority. The permitting authority for other jurisdictions may require different forms or additional information.

Small Wastewater System Permitting Instructions:

Step 1: Review the  Small Wastewater Facility General Permit

Step 1: Review the Small-Wastewater Facility-General-Permit, which covers the installation, repair or replacement of individual or commercial sewage disposal systems that treat less than 2,000 gallons of domestic sewage per day.

Step 2: Complete the Conventional Septic System Application

Step 2: Complete the Conventional-Septic-System-Application-Package.  A List-of-approved-septic-tank-models and providers is available to help you select your tank.

Step 3: Submit 3 copies of the application package...

Step 3: For applications within DEQ jurisdiction, submit 1 hard copy of the application package and leachfield design sheets to the District Engineer for the county (see District Map) in which construction will take place, and one electronic copy to the WDEQ Water Quality Division Document Uploads link above.

Step 4: Obtain a permit to construct or a notice of coverage…

Step 4: The permitting authority will review the submitted application package. Once approved, the permitting authority will transmit a permit to construct or a notice of coverage that authorizes construction activities. Construction may not commence until the permitting authority issues authorization.

Step 5: Submit a Certificate of Completion...

Step 5: Submit a Certificate-of-Completion to DEQ when installation is complete.

Submit a Transfer of Ownership form...

Submit a Transfer-of-Ownership form if the ownership of a permitted facility is transferred to another party.

Trade Secret Confidentiality Request

If you are interested in submitting a Trade Secret Confidentiality Request, click here.


Please contact us with any questions you have about the Water and Wastewater Section.  

Water and Wastewater Section Manager:

  • Keenan Hendon
    Tel 307-777-7075, email:

Water and Wastewater Construction Permitting:

  • Bradley Ellis, P.E.- Northeast District Engineer
    Tel 307-473-3469, email:
  • Dale Lee, P.E -Assistant Northeast District Engineer
    Tel 307-675-5640, email:
  • James Brough, P.E. – Northwest District Engineer
    Tel 307-335-6961, email:
  • Dennis Lewis, P.E. – Southeast District Engineer
    Tel 307-777-7088, email:
  • Jason Fernandez, P.E. - Assistant Southeast District Engineer
    Tel 307-777-7388, email:
  • Mark Baron, P.E. – Southwest District Engineer
    Tel 307-335-6962, email:

State Revolving Loan Fund (SRF):

  • Stan Miller, SRF Principal Engineer  
    Tel 307-777-6371, email:
  • Shawn King, SRF Project Manager  
    Tel 307-777-6941, email: 

Oil and Gas Produced Water Treatment and Disposal:

  • Dennis Lamb, P.G., Principal
    Tel 307-473-3452, email:
  • Hannes Stueckler, P.E.  
    Tel 307-777-6941, email:

Operator Certification:

  • Kim Parker
    Tel 307-777-6128, email:


Anthony Rivers
Tel 307-777-6183, email:

Obtaining a Permit

Chapters 3, 11, 12, 25, 26, and 28 of the Wyoming Water Quality Rules outline the requirements for construction permitting and are available on the Secretary of State website, under the Department Environmental Quality, Water Quality program.

Permit Application Instructions
Step 1: Complete a
Water and Wastewater Permit to Construct Application form - Chapter 3 permit (See Below). Submit one copy of the design report and construction plans and specifications to the District Engineer for the county (see District Map) in which construction will take place, and one electronic copy to the WDEQ Water Quality Division Document Uploads link above.  Both copies must be sealed, signed, and dated by a Wyoming licensed Professional Engineer (PE).

If you are interested in submitting a Trade Secret Confidentiality Request, click here.

Step 2: DEQ will review the application for compliance with the Water Quality Rules.  The DEQ will issue an individual or general permit, or a permit by rule permit depending on the proposed design. Please contact the District Engineer for the county in which construction will take place if you need more information about which permit is required (see District Map).

Step 3: Once a permit is issued, the permittee shall complete construction within the timeframe specified in the permit, which will not exceed 5 years from the date of issuance or written notification of coverage.  If construction is not completed within this time frame, the permittee shall apply for a new construction permit.

Step 4: Submit a Certificate of Completion form (See Below) when construction is complete.

Submit a Transfer of Ownership form (See Below) if the ownership of a permitted facility is transferred to another party.

If the download box is not working below, please click here.

District Map

Map of Water and Wastewater Districts showing the counties in each District, the District Engineers and Assistant District Engineers, and their contact information.

Interactive GIS map.  Use this map to determine the legal description or lat/long of your projects.